São Marcos do Campo

The village of São Marcos do Campo, with a total population of 840, belongs to the parish of Campo. It is located in the southern part of the municipality of Reguengos de Monsaraz, along the banks of the Degebe River, directly across from the village of Amieira.

It lies approximately 10 km south of Reguengos de Monsaraz.

History

The parish was established in the 13th century.

The Parish Church of São Marcos do Campo was originally built in the 16th century, with references to it dating back to 1534. In the 18th century, the church was completely renovated, including an expansion of the nave. During the 17th and 18th centuries, it also served as a commandery of the Order of Christ.