Juromenha



Juromenha is a Portuguese parish in the municipality of Alandroal, covering 33.05 km² with 146 inhabitants (2001). It is also known as Nossa Senhora do Loreto. Formerly a separate municipality, it was dissolved in 1836 and included the parishes of Matriz de Juromenha, São Brás dos Matos, and Vila Real (the latter included de jure since 1815, but not de facto).
Geography
Located at the northeastern edge of the municipality, Juromenha borders the parish of São Brás dos Matos to the south and west, the municipality of Vila Viçosa to the northwest, Elvas to the north, and the territory of Olivença to the southeast. It is the smallest parish in the municipality in terms of area, population, and population density.
History
Juromenha was once the seat of its own municipality, dissolved around 1836, which included the parishes of Juromenha and São Brás dos Matos. In 1801, it had 823 inhabitants. The village of Vila Real, located across the Guadiana River, was historically part of Juromenha but administered by Spain from 1801 as part of Olivença.
Juromenha has ancient origins and historically served as a sentinel along the Guadiana River at its feet.
It was conquered from the Moors (then known as Julumaniya, sometimes misread as Chelmena by historians) by King Afonso Henriques in 1167. Later, it came under the Order of Aviz, to whom it was donated by King Sancho I. The parish saw notable events during the Restoration Wars (17th century) and the Peninsular Wars (19th century). It was part of the Diocese of Elvas until 1882, when the diocese was dissolved.
Following its incorporation into the municipality of Alandroal, Juromenha began a process of decline, which intensified in the 1920s when the population abandoned the old walled area, developing instead around the Chapel of Santo António, which today forms the core of the village.
Notable Personalities
António Gomes Freire de Andrade (1685–1763), born in Juromenha, was a Portuguese noble, military officer, and colonial administrator. He became the first Count of Bobadela (Oliveira do Hospital) by royal charter on December 20, 1758.
Places to Visit